- Genaral Information
- Regions & Cities
- Touristic Places
- Turkish Flag and Anthem
- Turkish Folklore
- Especially Turkey
- Turkish Cuisine
Istanbul Champions League
Istanbul Formula One 2005
ALL ISTANBUL MUSEUMS
ANCIENT EASTERN ARCHEOLOGICAL MUSEUM
Address: Osman Hamdi Bey Slope, 34400 Gulhane - istanbul
Phone: +90 212 520 77 40 (Tue.-Sun :09.30-16.30 hrs)
Ancient Eastern Archeological Museum was designed and open to service in 1917 by Halil Eldem Bey The collection on displays comprised ot about 15 000 archeological pieces of Ancient Mesopotamia, Pre-Greek Anatolia, Assyrian, Sumer, Akad, Babel Ancient Egptian and Pre-lslamic Arabic culture.
Address: Osman Hamdi Bey Slope. 34400 Gulhane - istanbul
Phone: +90 212 520 77 40 Fax: 0212 527 43 00 (Tue-Sun. 09.30-17.00 hrs)
Archeology Museum, one of the greatest museums of the world, is located between Gulhane Park and Topkapi Palace. In the various halls of Archeology Museum, archeological pieces such as sarcophagus, tombstone, epitaph, bust, sculpture, relief, column heads and mosaics from Greek, Roman and Byzantine civilizations are on display. The museum has a resourceful library with the books on history, archeology, numismatics, and fine arts, a chemistry laboratory, a sculpture repair workhouse and photography section.
Address: Halaskargazi Road No: 250, 80260 Sisli - istanbul
Phone: +90 212 240 63 19 (Tue.-Sat.:09.00-16.00hrs)
The house which Mustafa Kemal Ataturk rented during working for National Freedom Battle, was bought in 1928 by the Municipality of Istanbul and was open for public visit in 1942 as the Ataturk Revolutions Museum. The personal belongings of Ataturk, his clothes, uniforms, photos of his military and private life, some documents with his. handwriting, his medallions, souvenirs and oil paintings of various artists such as ibrahim Call! are displayed.
Address: Aviation Warfare Commandership, Yes.ilyurt - istanbul
Phone: +90 212 574 11 00 (Wed.-Sun.:09 30-16,30 hrs)
The museum which was both indoor and outdoor exhibition sections, jet-motor and hovercrafts, cargo planes, helicopters, some aviation arms, pictures, emblems, medallions and belongings of Turkish air pilots are displayed. Aviation Museum also features movie theater, conference room and a cafeteria.
BEYLERBEYi PALACE MUSEUM
Address: Abdullahaga Road. 81210 Beylerbeyi - istanbul
Phone: +90 216 321 93 20 ¦ 321 95 51 (Mon.-Wed.: 09.30-17 00/Fn.-Sat.: 09.30-17.00 hrs)
Beylerbeyi Palace is located in the Anatolian side of the Boshporus, in the province having the same name with the palace. The palace, making up a complex with the palace in the yard and the surrounding buildings, was commissioned by Sultan Abdulaziz to architect brothers Sarkis and Agop Balyan in 1864. The palace comprises of the Beylerbeyi Palace as the main structure, sea mansions one of which is women hall and the other is progression hall located in the sea front walls of the palace. Marble Mansion, Yellow Palace and Hasahir in the backyard. While the sea mansions and Beylerbeyi Palace were commisioned by Sultan Abdulaziz, the other buildings are known to be a part of the palace once located on this spot.
CARICATURE AND HUMOR ARTS MUSEUM
Address: Ataturk Boulevard, Kovacilar Street. No: 12 Fatih - istanbul
Phone: +90 212 521 12 64 (Daily:09.00-18.00 hrs)
The collection of the museum features various documents and authentic works, selections from caricature and humor periodicals from Turkey and the world.
DIVAN LITERATURE MUSEUM
Address Galip Dede Road No: 15 Beyoglu - Istanbul
Phone: +90 212 245 41 41 (Wed.-Mon 09 30-1630)
Divan Literature Museum is located in the Galata Lodge of Dervishes, which is the most ancient and greatest dervish lodge of Istanbul. The buildig which was used as a lodge from its construction till the closing of convents, was turned into a museum in 1975.
DOLMABAHCE PALACE MUSEUM Address: Dolmabahce Road, 80680. Dolmabahce -istanbul.
Phone: +90 212 258 55 44 (Mon-Wed : 09 00-15.00/Fri.-Sun.: 09.00-15 00 hrs)
Dolmabahge Palace, whose construction began in 1846 in the province of Besjktas was completed in 1856. The palace which was commissioned by Sultan Abdulmecid was built on an area of 250.000 m2, and the palace itself and main outhouses were built on sea-filled surface.The palace is comprised of a main unit. Heir Section, Furniture and Guards' Room, Operational Mansions, Glass Mansion and other small pavilions Dolmabahge Palace which has 8 spacious saloons and 200 rooms, has two mam and seven side gates and five gates on the sea front.The Private Office is made up of Sultan's Office and harem Harem is a plain section with grand common-use places and closed private rooms
GRAND PALACE MOSAICS MUSEUM
Adress:Arasta garsisi Sultanahmet - Istanbul.
Phone:+90 212 528 45 00 (Tue.-Sun.:09.00-17.00 hrs)
Grand Palace Mosaics Museum is located in the south of Sultanahmet Mosque, within the complex of buildings of the mosque. While Grand Palace Mosaics, dating back to 450-550 AD. were masterfully woven, no religious themes can be seen in the mosaics. The themes are from daily life and nature, and there are scented depicting gryphon eating a lizard, fight of an elephant and a lion, breeding of a mare, children feeding geese, man milking a goat, child feeding his donkey, young girl carrying a jug, bears eating apples and fight between a hunter and a tiger.
IMRAHOR MONUMENT (ILYAS BEY MOSQUE)
Adress:imam A§ir Road Yedikule ¦ Istanbul,
Phone:+90 212 522 09 89
imrahor Monument which is in Yedikule and which is also known as ilyas Bey Mosque is one of the most ancient structures of Byzantine Period in Istanbul, and was constructed in 5th century. Monastery and the church, known as Studios, having the name of its architect, kept its position as an important religious center in Byzantine Period.
Adress:Fethiye Avanue Draman - Fatih - istanbul
Phone: +90 212 528 45 00
Fethiye Museum, which is located in Fatih-Carsamba province of Istanbul is known as Pammakanstos monastery church commissioned during Byzantine period. A grave chapel was added to the church with the end of Latin invasion in XIII. century.After the conquest, the church was kept by Christians and used as women monastery. In 1455 the the patriarchate was moved here and it continued its service as patriarchate until 1586.
Address: Kariye Museum, Edirnekapi - istanbul, Phone: (Sun.-Tue.:09.00-16.30/Thu.-Sat.:09.00-16.30 hrs) -90 212 523 30 09 Kariye Museum which is located in Edirnekapi in Istanbul was originally built as a church of Khora Monastery. While it is known to exist in the 8th century, the monastery is claimed to have been built in the 4th century. Today the mosaic depictions of Jesus and St. Mary decorating the walls of Kariye Museum are what most attract the visitors' attention. These fresques also have the quality of being the only frescos surviving till today in best condition.
MAHMUD I. LIBRARY
Adress:Sultanahmet Square Sultanahmet - istanbul
Phone: +90 212 522 17 50-212 522 09 89, Fax:+90 212 512 54 74 (Daily:09.00-18.00hrs)
Mahmud the 1st Library is located between two stanchions in the south of St. Sophia. The library which was commissioned in 1739 by Sultan Mahmud the 1st is an interesting example of Turkish architecture and decoration.
Adress:imrahor Avanue Sutluce 80 330 istanbul
Phone: +90 212 222 28 82, Fax:+90 212 222 29 23, www.miniaturk.com,firstname.lastname@example.org (Daily:10.00-18.00hrs)
Miniaturk, built in Halic (the Golden Horn) district of Istanbul, also constitutes part of the transformation project carried out by Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality in order to cleanse the bay of Halic. and bring back the old magnificence of the area. It may not have been enough to cleanse and bring back the fauna to the bay alone. It was necessary to support this transformation with projects related to culture and history. Miniaturk is a further step in the renewal process of the historical peninsula of the city in a way harmonious with its past characteristics.
Address: Valikonagi Road, 80200 Nisantas.i - istanbul Phone: + 90 212 240 62 55 (Wed.-Sun :09.00-17.00 hrs) The core part of the Military Museum which is located inside the Harbiye Barracks The resourceful collection of the museum consists many interesting pieces such as uniforms belonging every period of Ottoman army, various weapons from bow and arrow to triggered guns, seals, armors, tent of the sultan, sultan swords, flags, photos of ministers of defense, Byzantine Cavalry Flag, various warfare pieces used from the Selcuk period to the Republic period, the chain with which Byzantines closed the Golden Horn
MUSEUM OF TURKISH CALLIGRAPHIC ARTS ASSOCIATION
Address: Beyazit Square 34490, Beyazit - Istanbul Phone: +90 212 527 58 51 (Tue.-Sat.:08.30-16.30hrs) Turkish Calligraphic Arts Association Museum is located in Beyazit Medresse in Beyazit Square. Now, calligraphy works of many famous calligraphers and calligrapher sultans, sheets, sultan monograms and Korans arranged according to type are on display.
Address: iskele Road Besjktas. - istanbul,
Phone: +90 212 261 00 04 (Wed.-Sun.:09.00-18.00 hrs)
The museum was opened to public m 1960.Ancient sailor clothes, fleet models and sketches, pictures on maritime history can be found in the museum. Also the materials and souvenirs from the vessels used in the first years of Ottoman Empire and the Republic, pictures of some navy disasters and matyrs, wartime weapons such as hand-bombs, torpedo, fire gun and sketches of several fleet commanders. Sultan's fleet of Sultan Mehmed the 4th which is featured in the empire fleets section is known to be the most ancient of its kind to be preserved to date. In the courtyard of the museum, cannonballs of various sizes and a part of German Battleship which sunk in our coastline during Second World War are displayed.
OTTOMAN BANK MUSEUM
AdressVoyvoda Avanue (Bank street) No:35/37 Karakoy - istanbul
Phone: +90 212 292 76 05, www.obmuze.com, email@example.com (Daily: 10.00-18.00)
The Ottoman Bank Museum, located in the former head office of the Ottoman Bank on Voyvoda Street, operates under the aegis of the Garanti Bank sponsored Ottoman Bank Archive and Research Center. The museum, organized in and around the bank's safe room, draws on a wealth of information from the bank's archive to narrate the history of this institution, which operated as the central bank, bank of issue, and treasurer of the Ottoman Empire.
PAINTING AND SCULPTURE MUSEUM
Address : Bes,iktas. Road Besjktas. - istanbul,
Phone: +90 212 261 42 98 (Wed.-Fri.:09 00-17.00 hrs)
The museum which was opened as a part of Istanbul Academy of Fine Arts in 10 September 1937 in the Heir Room of the Dolmabahce Palace was built on order of Ataturk.ln the museum which has 20 different halls arranged to periods of the paintings displayed, there are also paintings and authentic prints of western artists such as Bonnard, Pablo Picasso, Albet, Marquet, Andre Derain, Raoul Dufy, Maurice Utrillo, Henri Matisse and A. Dunoyer de Sagonsac.
Address: Divanyolu Road, No:84, Qemberlitas, - istanbul
Phone: +90 212 513 84 77 , www.tgc.org.tr (Mon.-Fri.:13.30-18.00hrs)
The museum is also known as the original building of Dariilfunun (University) which was opened in 1871. The restored building was turned into Press Museum in 1988.The museum features information and materials on Turkish press from ibrahim Miiteferrika, founder of Turkish publication history, to date.
RAHMi M. KOC MUSEUM
Haskoy Avanue No 27 Haskoy-istanbul,
Phone: +90 212 297 63 39 - 40
Rahmi M. Koc Museum is in public service in an area of 2 thousand 100 square meters, on the south coast of the Golden Horn. An additional display building is connected to historical Lengerhane, located in the southeast part, with a transparent ramp below the garden brink The building, which is rated as second class historical structure, is estimated to have Byzantine basis from the 12th century. While the majority of the pieces of the museum was picked from the private collection of Rahmi M. Koc,, the works which are taken as donation or on temporary basis from various institutions and individuals are also on display in the museum. Authentic works of art and their models, scientific and mechanical objects form the basis of the museum collection
RUMELIAN HiSAR MUSEUM
Address: Rumelian Hisar - istanbul,
Phone: +90 212 263 53 05 (Mon.-Tue.:09.00-16.30/Thu.-Sun.:09.00-16.30)
Rumelian Hisar, was built to obstruct the aid coming from the Strait to Byzantine Empire in 1452 by Sultan Mehmet the Conqueror. Rumeli Hisan is situated in the widest part of the Boshporus across the Anadolu Hisar. The hisar has three bastions with height of 30 meters and the thickness of the hisar walls reaches to 3 meters and 5 meters in parts. The hisar which was repaired in 1953 and to which an outdoor theater was appended, is most recently used as a museum.
SADBERK HANIM MUSEUM
Address: Piyasa Road, No:27-29, Buyukdere - istanbul
Phone: +90 212 242 38 13 , wwwsadberkhanimmuzesi.org.tr (Mon.-Tue.: 10.00-17.00 /Thu.-Sun.: 10.00-17.00) Sadberk Hanim Museum, which is the first private museum to be built in Turkey, is serving public in a historical seaside residence in the Buyukdere point of the Bosphorus.The museum features materials, encaustic art and ceramics, clothes and calligraphy works from Hitite, Phrygia, Urartu, Mycenae, Hellenistic Age, Roman, Byzantine, Selcuk and Ottoman period, starting from 6000 B.C.
ST. IRINI MUSEUM
Topkapi Sarayi Avlusu Sultanahmet-istanbul,
Phone:+ 90 212 522 09 89
Istanbul St. irini Museum is located in the first courtyard of Topkapi Palace as one of the most magnificent and greatest Byzantine churches along with St. Sophia. St. irini was built during the period of Emperor Justinianus in VI.
HAGIA SOPHIA MUSEUM
Address: Sultanahmet Square 34400 Istanbul
Phone: +90 212 522 17 50-522 0989 (Tue.-Sun.:09.30-16.30 hrs)
St. Sophia Museum (Hagia Sophia), which is among the most significant monuments of world's architectural history, is considered as the only application interms of its architectural property, its magnificence, greatness and functionality St. Sophia has been an inspiration tor Ottoman mosques thought in idea, and is reviewed as a product of east-wesf synfhesis. St. Sophia served for 916 years as church and 481 years as mosque since its year of construction. Recently, St. Sophia was turned into a museum in 1935.Byzantine historians Theophanes, Nikephoros and Gramercy Leon claim that St. Sophia was originally built during the period of Emperor I. Konstantinos (324-337), At that time, St. Sophia which had a Basilica planned, wooden domed structure, was burned in a fire and Emperor II. Thedosius re-commissioned St. Sophia for the second time and it was reopened for service in 415. However, St. Sophia burned one more time in 532 during the Nika revolution and rebuilt for the third time by Emperor Justinianus (527-565) When Isidoros of Miletus and Anthemious of Tralles, the most famous architects of the period were building the St, Sophia which survived until today, they used the columns, column heads, marbles and color stones of the antic city remains of Anatolia.The construction of St. Sophia began in 23 December 532 and it was completed m 27 December 537. From the architectural point of view, it is comprised of a large central section, two side sections (nef), abyss, interior and exterior narthexes The interior has a size of 100x70, it's covered by a dome with a diameter of 30-31 m, and a height of 55 m, carried by four big columns. As well as its architecture, the mosaics of St, Sophia are also of worth noting. The most ancient mosaics are the golden glided geometrical and flower-motif mosaic on interior narthex and sides. The figured mosaics were made in IX-XII century, and they can be seen on Emperor Gate, on the abscissas, on the exit gate and upper floor gallery.St. Sophia had undergone various repairs during Turkish period starting with the conquest of Istanbul. While the framing of mihrab is adorned with the most beautiful examples of Turkish china art and Turkish calligraphic art, the sura from Koran on the dome inscribed by the famous Turkish Calligrapher Mustafa izzet Efendi and the round sheets with a-diameter of 7.50 m are the most remarkable ones. In these frames, the names of Allah, Mohammed, Omer, Osman. Ali, Hasan, Ebu Bekir and Hussein are written. And on he side walls of the mihrab can be seen the frames written by Ottoman sultans and donated to the museum,The tombs of Sultan Selim the 2nd, Sultan Mehmed the 3rd, Sultan Murad the 3rd and heirs, the fountain of Sultan Mahmut the 1st, primary school, public kitchen and library, sultan maksoorah of Sultan Abdulmecid, clock room are among the Turkish period works at St, Sophia, and the tombs make up the most precious examples of Ottoman tomb tradition with regard to their interior design, caustic art and architecture .
TANZiMAT (PERIOD OR REFORMS) MUSEUM
Address: Gulhane Park. Sirkeci - Istanbul,
Phone: +90 212 512 63 84 (Daily:09.00-17.00)
The museum which was opened in 1952 in Ihlamur Summer Palace was first moved the Cadir Mansion in Yildiz Park in 1969 and then in 1983 to its present location in Gulhane Park where the Ferman of Period of Reforms were announced to public. Period of Reforms Museum features documents and souvenirs of westernization period between the years of 1839-1876
TEKFUR PALACE MUSEUM
Sishane Avanue Edirnekapi - Istanbul (Daily open)
Tekfur Palace Museum, which is located between Edirnekapi and Egrikapi beside the ramparts is known to be the only palace surviving from Byzantine period to date.Tekfur Palace has an important place not for only Istanbul but also for the world art history since it reflects Byzantine civil architectural style. The date when the palace was built and by whom it was built is still not certain. Presently Tekfur Palace is a three storey building without a roof.
TOPKAPI PALACE MUSEUM
Address: Saray igi, Sultanahmet- istanbul,
Phone: +90 212 512 04 08 (Wed.-Tue.:09.00-19.00 hrs)
When the construction forTopkapi Palace started is still unknown. According to some resources, the foundation dates back to 1460. Topkapi Palace was not constructed based on a definite plan, was expanded in time and underwent several changes. This change was due to necessity of adding of new buildings or the reconstruction in place of the original buildings destroyed by fire or other causes.Apart from the mansions for residence of sultans and harem section, Topkapi Palace also features many structures such as wards for palace guards, a very spacious kitchen for use of palace residents, dormitories for palace servants, Kubbealti where Divan meetings were held, Hirka-i Saadet section where belongings of Hz. Mohammed and the Caliphs are kept, Gulhane Hospital, Sultan Ahmed the 3rd Library, Palace School, Treasury Office, a stable for the horses of sultan, and St.irini Church which was used as a weapon storage for some time. Topkapi Palace was abandoned in the middle of 19th century and lost its significanc as the state center. Indeed, part of a railroad was built on the outdoor garden of Topkapi Palace which was is a desolate state in the following years. Most recently in 1924 Topkapi Palace was turned into a museum and opened for exhibition.
TURKISH ISLAMIC ARTS MUSEUM
Address: ibrahim Pasha Palace. At Square, Sultanahmet - istanbul
Phone: (212)518 18 05-518 18 06 (Tue. -Sun. :O9.OO-17.00)
The museum features ceramic works, glass oil lamps, mural encaustics, plaster reliefs, carpets from Selcuk and Ottoman period and Nomad rugs, silver engravings, funeral arches, jeweled pieces, mother-of-pearl inlaid Koran desks, engraved copper containers, plumes, ornaments, the key of Kabe, oil lamps and candlesticks adorned with precious stones, impressively woven vests belonging to Sultan Yildinm Bayezid and Sultan Selim the 2nd. a brigantine belonging to Pertevniyal Sultan. Caucasian carpets, containers, drawers, engraved doors, very valuable hand-written Korans, miniatures, volumes, writing instruments, various firmans from the Ottoman Sultans, column heads, epitaphs, sultan monogram
YAPI KREDi VEDAT NEDIM TOR MUSEUM
Adress:lstiklal Avanue No:285 Beyoglu - istanbul,
Phone: +90 212 252 47 00
A cultural icon and a great intellectual, Vedat Nedim Tor, directed all the art and cultural events of Yapi Kredi up until 1977. This museum was founded in his name in 1992.The museum, which houses its extensive collections in specially designed storage areas, displays them in Turkey and around the world on a rotation basis. The antique coin collection of the museum consists of 55 thousand pieces, making it the third largest coin collection in the world.
YEDIKULE HISAR MUSEUM
Address: Kule Square No:4 Yedikule - istanbul,
Phone: +90 212 585 893 33
Yedikule Hisar, which is close to the point where land ramparts combine Marmara Sea and which got its name from the province where the hisar is located was commissioned by Sultan Mehmed the Conqueror just behind the Golden Gate where the Byzantine Emperors used to enter to the city upon return from the wars. . Many national or foreign statesmen were prisoners in Yedikule Prisons including Sultan Osman the 2nd. Trebizond Roman Emperor David Kommenos and his sons, late Abbasid Caliph IV Mutevekkil and Crimean Han Mehmed Giray Yedikule Hisarwhich was restored in 1959 is presently used a museum where also festivities and conceris are organized.
YEREBATAN CISTERN MUSEUM
Address: Yerebatan Road No: 13 34410 Sultanahmet - istanbul
Phone: +90 212 522 12 59 (winter daily:09.00-17.30 / summer daily:09.00-18.00)
Yerebatan Cistern was built in the left side of Sultanahmet Square towards St. Sophia-Gulhane Park direction, Yerebatan Cistern which is also called "Yerebatan Palace" was commissioned in about 540 by Byzantine Emperor Justmianus the 1st. The area which was gained by the underground carving of a rocky surface, the cistern which is supported by more than 300 columns, have become the most important water resource supplying water to Istanbul.The cistern which was cleansed and repaired by the Municipality of Istanbul between 1985-1988, is today one of the open-to-public places of visit with its mystifying and exotic atmosphere.
YILDIZ PALACE MUSEUM
Address: Yildiz 80700 Besiktas, - istanbul
Phone: » 90 212 259 45 70-259 89 77 (Tue.-Sun.-09.30-16.30 hrs)
Yildiz Palace is located inside a 500.000 square-meter woods between Besjktas. and Ortakoy provinces and is comprised of a mansion, summer palace, administrative and service buildings. The palace got its name from the mansion which was commissioned by Sultan Mahmud the 2nd in this woods. This mansion was decorated by his son Abdulmecid and placed his cerubme named Yildiz.AII buildings in Yildiz Palace are arranged in rows, gathering in the north end of the woods bordered by high walls. The rest of the woods is comprised of an exterior garden, in this garden which is open to public with the name ot Yildiz Park, there is Cadir and Malta mansions and Yildiz Porcelain Factory.
|Home | Location | Lobby | Rooms | Restaurant | Testimonials | Room Rates | Reservations|